Degree: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Program description. The Media Technologies program encompasses related career-technical disciplines in five general concentrations: Audio Production Engineering , Design for Web and Print , Photography , Video Production Technology and Web Technology . Students have the opportunity to earn a degree in a cross-disciplinary environment that reflects the trend in industry. The program employs instructors with years of practical experience and is guided by working professionals.
The Media Technologies program is designed to offer greater flexibility to students who can, working with an advisor, design a custom curriculum best suited to their needs and interests. The program offers certificates for those needing broader, deeper and/or upgraded training. To learn more about these options, see the Certificate Programs section of this Catalog.
Photography concentration. The Photography concentration is designed to give students a balanced, practical foundation for entering the profession in the digital age. All of the facilities are digital, with industry-standard tools incorporated into the course material. Students are shown the tools and techniques needed to build a foundation for nearly any photography career. Camera mastery, studio portrait and still life lighting, photojournalism, and digital imaging are among the skills developed. Learning these core skill sets allows the aspiring photographers the ability to express themselves more creatively and communicate more effectively through their photography.
Typical job opportunities: Freelance photographer/studio owner; corporate or industrial photographer; staff, wedding, portrait, photojournalism, editorial, travel, nature, lifestyle, social media, stock and education photographer
Program goals. Upon completion of a Media Technologies program, the graduate will have developed the skills, knowledge and abilities to accomplish the following:
- Create media that communicate the desired message to the intended audience.
- Demonstrate mastery of the fundamentals within the medium of concentration.
- Apply various styles in communications media that display a grasp of both design and communication principles and techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the techniques, equipment, software, hardware and materials for the production of appropriate content within ever-evolving media.
- Demonstrate understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the artist, subject, client, user and employer, including intellectual property rights.
Contact(s): Engineering and Media Technologies department, (865) 694-6483; or program coordinator, (865) 539-7171