2014-2015 College Catalog 
    Apr 23, 2024  
2014-2015 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services

Students are the College’s first priority and reason for existence. Counseling and student activities complement the learning environment with opportunities for self-evaluation, personal development, and success. College programs and services are designed to respond to the student’s individuality and to reflect the diversity of the student body.

Counseling Services

Personal and academic counseling. Counselors provide students the opportunity to explore concerns that may affect their academic progress. Counseling services are confidential and free to all students. Services include short-term personal counseling, academic skill building and career exploration. When necessary, counselors will make referrals to on- and off-campus resources. Counseling staff also provide information and guidance to students who wish to transfer to four-year colleges or universities.

Career counseling. Counselors assist students with career exploration tasks such as deciding on a major, researching career options or making a career change. Counselors use many resources to help students with career decision making and planning. These resources include interest and skill assessments, computerized career planning assistance and individual career counseling. In addition, counselors will connect students with the College’s Placement Office for support in resume writing and job interviewing strategies.

Students may schedule appointments for personal, academic and career counseling by contacting the Counseling office on any of the college campuses.

Disability Services

Pellissippi State provides services and academic accommodations for students with disabilities who self-identify as having a disability and provide appropriate documentation of the disability. The Disability Services Office coordinates the services and academic accommodations for all students with disabilities. Academic accommodations are based on documentation of the disability and are determined on a case-by-case basis.

According to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and its 2008 amendments, a student with a disability is someone who has a physical or mental impairment, has a history of impairment, or is believed to have a disability that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities, such as learning, speaking, working, hearing, breathing, caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, seeing, or walking.

Students with disabilities who meet the definition of disability and who voluntarily disclose the disability by providing appropriate documentation to Disability Services may request services. Personal services are not provided. Students who need support services or accommodations for entrance testing should contact this office prior to enrollment.

Persons who need assistance or information on services available to students with disabilities should contact Disability Services, rooms 127-131, Goins Building, Hardin Valley Campus, (865) 539-7153.

Student Support Services (TRiO)

The Student Support Services (TRiO) program helps students develop the skills to attain academic, social and personal success during their college career. Services include assistance with career selection, peer tutoring, financial literacy training, information on financial aid options, academic advice and counseling, educational seminars, cultural activities and assistance in selecting a four-year college to transfer to after completing studies at Pellissippi State. Leadership opportunities are available through TRiO’s Student Leadership Team and Peer Tutoring program.

The program is available to students who have an academic need and meet enrollment guidelines. Academic needs include required learning support courses, low grade-point average or ACT test score, or having been out of school for five or more years. Enrollment guidelines specify inclusion of “first-generation” students whose parents have not graduated from a four-year college or university, low-income students and/or students with disabilities.

TRiO Student Support Services is sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, with funding provided by the grant and Pellissippi State. The program is located in Room 218, Educational Resources Center, on the Hardin Valley Campus. Staff may be contacted for additional information at (865) 539-7267.

Veterans Educational Assistance

Please see the Financial Aid  section for complete information.

Cooperative Education

Please see the Career Programs  section for complete information.

Library Services

For complete information on Library Services, including details on borrowing, online databases, services at satellite campuses and interlibrary loan, visit www.pstcc.edu/library.

Educational Technology Services

The media library is available in Educational Technology Services (ETS). Experienced staff at ETS may be contacted at (865) 694-6593. Student use of the media library is restricted to the viewing carrels at ETS only.

Open Lab

Network and Technical Services’ Information Technology Support Center provides Open Computer Labs on all Pellissippi State campuses. Microcomputers may be used on a first-come/first-served basis by students. Students are required to log onto computers using their general account information. The student general account provides access to email, internet, etc. All students, full time and part time, are authorized to receive a student general user account upon completing the registration process. The account is activated on the first day of classes for the current semester. The Open Labs have both PCs and Macs.

The Open Lab on the Hardin Valley Campus is located in the Educational Resources Center, Room 327. The Open Lab at the Blount County Campus is located in Room 189. The Open Lab at the Division Street Campus is located in Room 138; the Magnolia Avenue Campus, Room 147; and the Strawberry Plains Campus, Room 2654. All Open labs are reserved for general student use, and none may be scheduled for classes. Hours of operation are posted in each of the Open Labs and on the Information Technology Support Center home page: www.pstcc.edu/itsc/helpdesk/. Lab assistants are on duty during Open Lab hours. Please see the Pellissippi State Policies and Procedures Manual, Policy 08:04:03 Information Technology Support Center Open Computer Lab (www.pstcc.edu/ppm/pdf/08-04-03.pdf), for the complete policy.


The Helpdesk provides computer assistance to students, faculty and staff of Pellissippi State. Call the Helpdesk at (865) 694-6537 or email helpdesk@pstcc.edu for assistance.

Academic Support Center

The Academic Support Center offers the following free services:

  • Tutoring in all levels of math, chemistry, biology, anatomy and physiology, physics, Spanish, French, German, engineering science, computer science and information technology, history, accounting, writing, and in all behavioral sciences.
  • Access to computers and printers for tutoring and non-tutoring purposes.
  • Access to CDs for students taking Music Appreciation.
  • Group or individual study space. Supplemental instruction study sessions usually are offered in Room 332, Educational Resources Center.
  • List of tutors available for hiring a personal tutor.

Stop by the Academic Support Center to pick up a schedule of tutoring times, or check online for the varying services offered at all campuses: www.pstcc.edu/learn.

Testing and Adult Education

Testing. There is a Testing Center at each campus. Please go to the Testing Center website (www.pstcc.edu/testing) to see the hours of operation at each campus and to review the Testing Center policies. Students must have a valid official photo ID to test in the Testing Center. No cell phones or other electronic devices are permitted. Students are asked to store backpacks and other personal items before entering the Testing Center. Call (865) 694-6454 for testing information.

The Testing Center office is located in Room 120E, Educational Resources Center. The Testing Center offers the following services:

  • Makeup testing and standardized testing
  • High school equivalency diploma testing
  • CLEP, DSST and credit by exam
  • Nursing entrance exam
  •  RODP testing 
  • Correspondence testing

Student Life and Recreation

The mission of Student Life and Recreation is to provide learning and personal development co-curricular activities and experiences in which students connect and engage with other students, faculty, staff and the community.

Students who participate in Student Life and Recreation activities will

  • Connect with students, faculty, staff and resources on campus.
  • Have the opportunity to take on leadership roles and responsibilities.
  • Gain knowledge of working in groups.
  • Be aware of cultural and personal differences.
  • Experience feelings of mattering and belonging.

Student Life and Recreation builds a strong campus community by sponsoring quality educational, leadership, social, recreational and wellness programs and events at all campuses. Student Life and Recreation provides students with experiences outside the classroom to enhance real-life skills so that they are better equipped to attain academic, career and personal goals.

Council of Student Advocates (COSA). Through advocacy and campus activities, COSA makes a difference by connecting our students, building relationships and developing trust among students, faculty and staff. COSA is an umbrella for the student leadership programs on campus. These positions include the following:

  • Student Activities Board. SAB members work along with Student Life and Recreation to plan, organize, implement and evaluate activities on campus, offering the student body educational, social and cultural enrichment opportunities.
  • Student Ambassadors. Each year the College works with student leaders to represent Pellissippi State as public relations officials. These students give campus tours, greet incoming visitors and assist with various on and off campus activities. The Student Ambassador program is coordinated through Enrollment Services.
  • New Student Orientation (NSO) leaders. NSO leaders are an important part of orientation, leading campus tours and presenting informational sessions while giving new students an initial taste of Pellissippi State campus life. New Student Orientation Leaders are coordinated through the director of New Student Orientation.
  • COSA Liaison. One student is chosen each academic year to represent the interests of the student body and work closely in partnership with administration regarding decisions necessitating the student voice.

In addition, COSA offers Pellissippi State students intellectual, social and cultural enrichment opportunities.

Student Leadership Development. Presented in various formats, leadership development workshops and other trainings are provided to student organization leaders and other interested students. Service-learning opportunities are also offered for community service projects within the region.

Students who participate in student leadership opportunities and service will

  • Gain an understanding of themselves, their values, abilities, and interests and develop a personal philosophy of leadership.
  • Understand the importance of behaving consistently with their values, beliefs, strengths and limitations.
  • Learn skills for effective membership in groups, including controversy with civility, shared responsibility, respect for individual and group differences and collaboration.
  • See themselves as agents of change, and as citizens with responsibilities to their communities.
  • Develop a commitment to an activity or cause and invest energy in that activity or cause.
  • Gain an understanding of leadership as a process not a position.

Student organizations. Honor, academic and special interest organizations are organized through Student Life and Recreation. In order to be recognized and chartered by the College, each organization must have a constitution, a faculty or staff advisor, and a list of charter members and officers. For a list of active organizations, visit Room 146, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus or consult the Student Life and Recreation Web site. The advisor facilitates the overall functioning of each student organization and is expected to attend meetings and events, update members on Pellissippi State policies, and assist members as needed.

Each officially recognized student organization is expected to keep a record of meetings, expenditures and activities of the group and to submit an annual report to Student Life and Recreation as requested.

Any student or group of students interested in starting a new student organization should contact Student Life and Recreation to obtain a copy of the Procedures for Forming a New Student Organization.

Application for a special event. Special events or fundraising activities planned by student organizations require approval through Student Life and Recreation at least five business days prior to the event.

Activities and meetings. Officially recognized student organizations may schedule campus facilities for regular meetings. Special programs, fundraising activities or off-campus activities must be approved through Student Life and Recreation. All use of campus property and facilities is subject to TBR and Pellissippi State regulations.

Recreation and intramurals. A variety of recreational and intramural activities for Pellissippi State students are available throughout the year at no additional charge. The Student Recreation Center on the Hardin Valley Campus has outdoor facilities that include a combination basketball/tennis court, a soccer field, a golf area, a sand volleyball court and a softball field. Three tennis courts and a combination volleyball/ basketball/ badminton court are available indoors. The Student Recreation Center also has a fitness room containing a variety of weight training and cardio equipment. The newest addition to the center offers a racquetball court and a dance/exercise/martial arts room.

Student publications. “Panther Pause” is a biweekly newsletter designed to let students know what’s happening on campus (events, services, deadlines). It offers tips for transition to college life, as well as bits of humor and conventional wisdom. “Panther Pause” can be found in campus restrooms, at study and social areas, and on the Student Life and Recreation Web site: www.pstcc.edu/studentlife.

The Pellissippi Press, the official student newspaper of Pellissippi State, can be found online and is produced entirely by students. Students gain practical experience in writing, editing, layout and design, print shop composition, photography and other facets of newspaper production. The online newspaper is published to provide a free marketplace of ideas for the student body and is available at www.pellpress.com.

Imaginary Gardens is the College’s literary magazine. It is a collection of creative writings, drawings and photographs by students published in the fall and spring semesters.

Campus Sustainability Initiative. In fall 2011 a sustainable campus fee, initiated and supported by students, was implemented. Funding from the fee is allocated by the Sustainable Campus Committee for various green initiatives. Initiatives focus on supporting environmental awareness and promoting faculty, staff, and student engagement in and commitment to sustainable practices. For more information, visit the Student Life and Recreation office (Goins 146) on the Hardin Valley Campus.

Bulletin boards. Bulletin boards for student use are located throughout the campus. Posted materials should be of campus interest to students, faculty, and staff and must be approved and dated by Student Life and Recreation (Goins 146) on the Hardin Valley Campus or in the main office of the Blount County, Division Street, Magnolia Avenue and Strawberry Plains site. Items must be no larger than 11 x 17 inches and may be posted for a maximum of 15 school days.

Identification cards. Student ID cards are used for a variety of services on campus: Library, tutoring, learning commons, Testing Center, Student Recreation Center and various labs. To get your Pellissippi State photo ID card, you must provide photo identification and your P number. ID cards can be obtained at the following locations:

  • Student Life and Recreation, Goins 141
  • Student Recreation Center (the Bubble)
  • For students who attend Blount County, Division Street, Magnolia Avenue or Strawberry Plains: the Educational Resources Center (Library)

The first card is free; however, there is a fee for replacement cards. Identification cards are automatically renewed each semester a student is enrolled.

Graduate Placement Services

Placement Office personnel assist students, recent graduates and alumni of Career Programs in their job search to help them obtain career positions. Regularly updated job postings are available for all students at all site locations. Placement and Cooperative Education files are maintained and made available to employers in the community. The Placement Office provides the following services:

  • Contacts with representatives of business and industry
  • Resume writing assistance
  • Interviewing skills assistance, including mock interviews
  • Copies of student placement files sent to companies
  • Career fairs
  • Information about potential employers
  • Posting of full- and part-time jobs at all Pellissippi State sites

Placement Office registration. Students majoring in an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program must fill out the placement survey when completing the online Intent to Graduate process. No later than one semester before graduation, A.A.S. students should submit a placement file and resume. The forms for the placement file can be completed online at www.pstcc.edu/placement/forms.php. When a student accepts employment, whether secured through the Placement Office or through other means, he or she should submit to the Placement Office the name, address, and telephone number of the company; job title; reporting date; and supervisor. State and federal education regulations require these statistics on graduates. In addition, this information is used by Pellissippi State to aid in curriculum development and completing state reports. Reporting salary information is optional but helps the office maintain accurate statistics.

Interview policy. Students or graduates are expected to attend all scheduled interviews. Students or graduates who are late or who miss a scheduled interview appointment must meet with the director of Placement before placement credentials will resume being sent to employers.


In case of an emergency, contact Safety and Security:

  • Hardin Valley Campus—694-6649
  • Blount County Campus—981-5300
  • Division Street Campus—971-5200
  • Magnolia Avenue Campus—329-3100
  • Strawberry Plains Campus—225-2300

For emergencies that may be life-threatening, call 911 and notify Safety and Security.

Medical emergencies. In all cases when a person is on campus and found to be unconscious or incoherent, Safety and Security personnel will call 911 and request emergency medical care (an ambulance). If the person becomes conscious, he/she may refuse medical treatment when emergency medical care arrives. Note: Pellissippi State is not responsible for the corresponding charges related to emergency medical care.

In case of an illness or injury to an employee, student, or visitor:

1. Notify Safety and Security with location and nature of the call.

2. Upon their arrival, Safety and Security personnel will take charge of the situation, give first aid, and request emergency medical care and or other assistance if necessary. The Safety and Security officer on the scene will prepare an accident/incident report.

Campus Security Report

A copy of the annual Campus Security Report is available upon request. The report contains security policies, procedures and guidelines. Crime statistics for the past year and the previous two years are included in the report. These statistics are based on incidents reported at all campuses. Crime statistics for the Strawberry Plains Campus will be added to the 2013 Campus Security Report. A copy of the report may be obtained from the Safety and Security Office, Room 101, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus, or the front office of the Blount County, Division Street, Magnolia Avenue or Strawberry Plains campus. A copy of the Campus Security Report is displayed on the Safety and Security website: www.pstcc.edu/security.

Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act

The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and the Tennessee College and University Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2002 require that whenever a sex offender becomes employed, enrolls as a student or volunteers at an institution of higher education in the state of Tennessee, he or she must complete or update the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) sexual offender registration/monitoring form and deliver it to TBI headquarters in Nashville. As defined in section 40-39-102 of the Tennessee Code, a “sexual offender” means a person who is, or has been, convicted in this state of committing a sexual offense or who is, or has been, convicted in another state or country, or who is, or has been, convicted in federal or military court, of committing an act which would have constituted a sexual offense if it had been committed in this state. A “sexual offense” means the commission of acts including, but not limited to, aggravated and statutory rape, sexual battery, sexual exploitation of a minor, aggravated prostitution and kidnapping.

Both acts designate certain information concerning a registered sexual offender as public information and therefore amend and supersede the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other federal and state laws that previously prohibited the disclosure of such personal information. Since the laws require the publication of information pertaining to sexual offenders employed, enrolled, or volunteering at an educational institution, said publication does not constitute grounds for a grievance or complaint under institutional or Tennessee Board of Regents policies or procedures.

In compliance with the Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and the Tennessee College and University Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2002, members of the campus community may obtain the most recent information received from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) concerning sex offenders employed, enrolled, or volunteering at this institution. This information is available in the Safety and Security office.

Information is available on the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s Sex Offender Registry: www.tbi.tn.gov/sex_ofender_reg/sex_ofender_reg.shtml.

In addition, students who are registered sex offenders must meet with the dean of students and report to the Safety and Security office each semester in which they are enrolled for classes.

Other Information and Services

Food service. The Pellissippi State Cafeteria is located on the first floor of the Goins Building on the Hardin Valley Campus. The Cafeteria provides hot line and grill services to students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Vending services are also available at each campus.

Inclement weather. Classes at Pellissippi State Community College may be canceled due to excessive snow, ice or other severe weather conditions. The College will notify local radio and television stations if classes are canceled or if they will meet at a time other than normally scheduled. Students should tune in to Knox and Blount County radio and/or television stations for the announcement. Closings are also announced on the College’s home page and through Pellissippi Alerts (www.pstcc.edu/alerts). Weather conditions vary throughout the region. When classes are not canceled but the student decides that conditions in his or her area are too hazardous to attend classes, the student should contact faculty members at the first opportunity to explain the conditions regarding the absence.

Insurance. Since medical care is occasionally needed on an emergency basis and on short notice, students are encouraged to obtain student health and accident insurance. Brochures on student accident and health insurance, approved for Pellissippi State by the State University and Community College System of Tennessee, are available from Enrollment Services.

Lounge and snack areas. Student lounges are provided for between-class relaxation and recreation. Students who wish to study may use the tables provided but may prefer the quieter study areas in the ERC.

Telephones. House telephones are located in the lobby areas for student use. Students are not authorized to use faculty and staff telephones. Those using the student telephones should limit calls to three minutes in consideration of the needs of others.

The Hardin Valley Campus’ Safety and Security office provides a telephone and a video and text phone for outgoing calls only.  

Lost, found and abandoned property. Lost and found articles are accepted in the Safety and Security office located in the Goins Building, Room 101, on the Hardin Valley Campus or the front office of the Blount County, Division Street, Magnolia Avenue, or Strawberry Plains campus. Lost and found items will be retained at all other campuses and sent to Safety and Security if not claimed within seven days. Lost or abandoned property that remains unclaimed will be processed under the procedures for the disposition of unclaimed property, according to TCA 66-29-103 et seq. Detailed procedures are available in the Business Office.