2023-2024 College Catalog 
    Jun 14, 2024  
2023-2024 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services

Students are the College’s first priority and reason for existence. Support services for students and student activities complement the learning environment with opportunities for self-evaluation, personal development and success. College programs and services are designed to respond to the student’s individuality and to reflect the diversity of the student body.

Academic Tutoring Center

The Academic Tutoring Center provides educational assistance for Pellissippi State students at all campuses and online. Free services include face-to-face tutoring with qualified instructors and tutors; tutoring for writing assignments via email using ascatutor@pstcc.edu; virtual tutoring via Microsoft Teams using tutor@pstcc.edu; peer tutoring; supplemental instruction study sessions and access to computers. A schedule of tutoring times and offerings is posted at each campus and online. Call 865-539-7079 for special requests for unscheduled tutoring and other questions about the Academic Tutoring Center services.

Academic Testing Center

The Academic Testing Center has a location at each campus. The Center’s policies and hours of operation are posted on the Academic Testing Center website. Students must have a valid College or official photo ID to test in the Academic Testing Center. No cell phones or other electronic devices are permitted. Students must store backpacks and other personal items before entering. Call 865-694-6454 for testing information. An Academic Testing Center is located at each campus:

  • Blount County Campus, room 197
  • Hardin Valley Campus, Educational Resources Center, room 122
  • Magnolia Avenue Campus, room 148
  • Strawberry Plains Campus, room 2700

Academic Testing Center Services include

  • Makeup testing and standardized testing,
  • High school equivalency (HISET) testing,
  • CLEP, DSST and credit by exam,
  • Nursing entrance exam,
  • TN eCampus testing, 
  • Correspondence testing,
  • Microsoft Certification exams.

Campus Security Report

The annual Campus Security Report is available on the Pellissippi State Police website. The report contains security policies, procedures and guidelines. Crime statistics for the past year and the previous two years are included in the report. These statistics are based on incidents reported at all campuses. These reports may also be obtained from Pellissippi State Police, Room 101, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus, or the front office of the Blount County, Magnolia Avenue or Strawberry Plains campuses. 

Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act

The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and the Tennessee College and University Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2002 require that whenever a sex offender becomes employed, enrolls as a student or volunteers at an institution of higher education in the state of Tennessee, he or she must complete or update the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) sexual offender registration/monitoring form and deliver it to TBI headquarters in Nashville. As defined in section 40-39-102 of the Tennessee Code, a “sexual offender” is a person who is, or has been, convicted in this state of committing a sexual offense or who is, or has been, convicted in another state or country, or who is, or has been, convicted in federal or military court, of committing an act which would have constituted a sexual offense if it had been committed in this state. A “sexual offense” is the commission of acts including, but not limited to, aggravated and statutory rape, sexual battery, sexual exploitation of a minor, aggravated prostitution and kidnapping.

The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and the Tennessee College and University Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2002 designate certain information concerning a registered sexual offender as public information and therefore amend and supersede the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other federal and state laws that previously prohibited the disclosure of such personal information. Since the laws require the publication of information pertaining to sexual offenders employed, enrolled or volunteering at an educational institution, said publication does not constitute grounds for a grievance or complaint under institutional or Tennessee Board of Regents policies or procedures.

In compliance with the Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act and the Tennessee College and University Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2002, members of the campus community may obtain the most recent information received from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) concerning sex offenders employed, enrolled or volunteering at this institution. This information is available in the Pellissippi State Police Department in Room 101, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus.

Information is available on the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s Sex Offender Registry.

Career Development

Career Development serves students by providing access to employment opportunities and preparing students for entering the workforce. Regularly updated job postings are available on all campuses and on the Career Development website. Placement and cooperative education files are maintained and made available to employers in the community. The Career Development office provides the following services:

  • Contacts with representatives of business and industry
  • Resume writing assistance
  • Interviewing skills assistance, including mock interviews
  • Job referrals for Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree and certificate students, graduates and alumni
  • Copies of A.A.S. student placement files sent to companies
  • Career fairs
  • Information about potential employers
  • Posting of full- and part-time jobs on the online job board
  • Career services and preparation resources
  • YouScience Assessment

Placement registration. Students must register with the Career Development office to receive maximum assistance in finding employment. Students in an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree program should set up a placement file with Career Development no later than one semester before graduation. Setting up their file allows Career Development to assist the A.A.S. students in their career pursuits. The required forms for the placement file can be completed through Career Development. When a student accepts employment, whether secured through the Career Development office or through other means, he or she should submit to Career Development the name, address and telephone number of the company; job title; reporting date and supervisor. State and federal education regulations require these statistics on graduates. This information is also used by Pellissippi State to aid in curriculum development and completing state reports. Reporting salary information is optional but helps the office maintain accurate statistics.

Job postings related to career programs may be shared with A.A.S. students, recent graduates and alumni before being posted on the job boards.  

Interview policy. Students or graduates are expected to attend all scheduled interviews. Students or graduates who are late or who miss a scheduled interview appointment must meet with the director of Career Development before placement credentials will resume being sent to employers.

Career Services and Preparation. Career Development offers resources for career services and preparation for all students. Follow Career Development on social media to access career development articles and resources, job opportunities, employer and business information.  

Cooperative Education

Please see the Career Programs  section for complete information.

Counseling Services

Personal and academic counseling. Counselors provide students the opportunity to explore concerns that may affect their academic progress. Counseling services are confidential and free to all students. Services include short-term personal counseling, academic skill-building and career exploration. When necessary, counselors will make referrals to on- and off-campus resources. Counseling staff also provide information and guidance to students who wish to transfer to four-year colleges or universities.

Career counseling. Counselors assist students with career exploration tasks such as deciding on a major, researching career options or making a career change. Counselors use many resources to help students with career decision making and planning. These resources include interest and skill assessments, computerized career planning assistance and individual career counseling. In addition, counselors will connect students with the Career Development office for support in resume writing and job interviewing strategies.

Students may schedule appointments for personal, academic and career counseling by contacting the Counseling Services office at 865-694-6480 or emailing counseling@pstcc.edu.

Disability Services

Pellissippi State provides services and academic accommodations for students with disabilities who self-identify as having a disability and provide appropriate documentation of the disability. The Disability Services office coordinates the services and academic accommodations for all students with disabilities. Academic accommodations are based on documentation of the disability and are determined on a case-by-case basis.

According to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and its 2008 amendments, a student with a disability is someone who has a physical or mental impairment, has a history of impairment or is believed to have a disability that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities, such as learning, speaking, working, hearing, breathing, caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, seeing or walking.

Students with disabilities who meet the definition of disability and who voluntarily disclose the disability by providing appropriate documentation to Disability Services may request services. Personal services are not provided. Students who need support services or accommodations for entrance testing should contact this office prior to enrollment.

Persons who need assistance or information on services available to students with disabilities should contact Disability Services, Room 130, Alexander Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus, or call 865-694-6411.


In case of an emergency, contact the Pellissippi State Police:

  • Blount County Campus—865-981-5300
  • Hardin Valley Campus—865-694-6649  (Staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
  • Magnolia Avenue Campus—865-329-3100
  • Strawberry Plains Campus—865-225-2300

For emergencies that may be life-threatening, call 911 and notify Pellissippi State Police.

Medical emergencies. In all cases when a person is on campus and found to be unconscious or incoherent, Pellissippi State Police will call 911 and request emergency medical care (an ambulance). If the person becomes conscious, he/she may refuse medical treatment when emergency medical care arrives. Note: Pellissippi State is not responsible for the corresponding charges related to emergency medical care.

In case of an illness or injury to an employee, student or visitor:

  1. Notify Pellissippi State Police with location and nature of the call.
  2. Upon their arrival, Pellissippi State Police will take charge of the situation, give first aid and request emergency medical care and or other assistance if necessary. The Pellissippi State Police or Security officer on the scene will prepare an accident/incident report.

Food Service

Vending services are available at each campus.

ID Cards

Student Identification cards (photo ID cards) are used for a variety of services on campus: Library, Tutoring, Testing Center, Student Recreation Center and some labs. The first ID card is free; however, there is a $10 fee to replace lost ID cards. ID cards are automatically renewed each semester a student is enrolled.

To get a student ID card, students may come to any campus during regular hours of operation, without an appointment, to have their picture taken and get an ID card printed immediately. Students should bring a valid photo ID such as a state-issued driver’s license, along with their Pnumber, to any of the following locations:

  • Hardin Valley Campus – Open Computer Lab (ERC 327) or Information Technology Desk (GN 240)
  • The Library at Blount County, Magnolia Avenue or Strawberry Plains Campuses

Students unable to come to campus in-person may continue to use all college services without a student ID card. Other forms of ID may be required for testing purposes.

There is no process available for sending ID cards through the mail.

Inclement Weather

Classes at Pellissippi State Community College may be canceled due to excessive snow, ice or other severe weather conditions. Closings and delays will be announced on the College’s homepage, Facebook and Twitter accounts and through Pellissippi Alerts text and email messages. The College will also notify local radio and television stations. Students should consult one of these outlets for the latest updates. Weather conditions vary throughout the region. When classes are not canceled but the student decides that conditions in his or her area are too hazardous to attend classes, the student should contact faculty members at the first opportunity to explain the conditions regarding the absence.


Since medical care is occasionally needed on an emergency basis and on short notice, students are encouraged to obtain student health and accident insurance. Information about student health insurance, available through TBR - the College System of Tennessee, can be found on the TBR website.

Computer HelpDesk

The Computer HelpDesk is the first point of contact for all technology-related assistance for students, faculty and staff at Pellissippi State. Contact the Computer HelpDesk at 865-694-6537 or email helpdesk@pstcc.edu for assistance.

Library Services

Visit the Library Services website for details on borrowing books and movies, accessing online databases or other services at campus libraries and for placing intercampus and interlibrary loan requests. For library and research assistance, contact the Hardin Valley Campus Library Reference Desk at 865-539-7107 and the Circulation Desk at 865-694-6516. Campus locations:

Hardin Valley Campus Library, ERC Building

Blount County Campus Library, Room 136

Magnolia Avenue Campus Library, Room 140D

Strawberry Plains Campus Library, Room 2800

Lost, Found and Abandoned Property

Lost and found articles are accepted in the Pellissippi State Police Department office located in the Goins Building, Room 101, on the Hardin Valley Campus or the main office of the Blount County, Magnolia Avenue and Strawberry Plains campuses. Lost and found items will be retained at all other campuses and sent to the Pellissippi State Police Department if not claimed within seven days. Lost or abandoned property that remains unclaimed will be processed under the procedures for the disposition of unclaimed property, according to TCA 66-29-103 et seq. Detailed procedures are available in Student Account Services.

Open Computer Labs

Open Computer Labs are available for all students at every campus. Computers (PC and Mac), printers, and scanners are available for students without appointment during normal operating hours.

Students will use their general account username and password (received after admission to the College) for required login to all on-campus computers and on-campus wireless internet. The same general account credentials will be used off-campus for college email, student portal (myPellissippi) and online courses (Brightspace).

The Open Computer Labs are available at the following locations:

  • Blount County Campus – Room 174
  • Hardin Valley Campus – ERC 327
  • Magnolia Avenue Campus – Room 140
  • Strawberry Plains Campus – Room 2654      

All labs are reserved for general student use, and none may be scheduled for classes. Hours of operation are posted in each of the labs and on the HelpDesk webpage. HelpDesk or lab assistants are on duty during Open Lab hours. 

Student Care and Advocacy

Student Care and Advocacy promotes students’ well-being by focusing on non-academic barriers to success, such as economic stability, housing, transportation, food access, child care, medical, legal, financial wellness and health care. Student Care and Advocacy also helps connect students who want to help others through volunteer opportunities on campus and in the community.

Support services include the Hardin Valley Garden and the Pellissippi Pantry for those experiencing food insecurity. Student Care and Advocacy also serves as the liaison for students experiencing homelessness.

Sustainable Campus Initiative. A sustainable campus fee, initiated and supported by students, was implemented in fall 2011. Funding from the fee is allocated by the Sustainable Campus Committee for various green initiatives. Initiatives focus on supporting environmental awareness and promoting college-wide engagement in and commitment to sustainable practices. Students, staff and faculty are invited to submit proposals for ways to make Pellissippi State more environmentally friendly. Proposals are reviewed annually and a list of funded projects can be found on our Sustainability Initiatives website.

Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL)

The mission of Student Engagement and Leadership is to provide learning and personal development through co-curricular activities and experiences in which students connect and engage with other students, faculty, staff and the community.

Students who participate in Student Engagement and Leadership activities will

  • Connect with students, faculty, staff and resources on campus;
  • Have the opportunity to take on leadership roles and responsibilities;
  • Gain knowledge of working in groups;
  • Be aware of cultural and personal differences; and
  • Experience feelings of mattering and belonging.

Student Engagement and Leadership builds a strong campus community by sponsoring quality educational, leadership, social, recreational and wellness programs and events at all campuses. Student Engagement and Leadership provides students with experiences outside the classroom to enhance real-life skills so that they are better equipped to attain academic, career and personal goals.

Student Government Association. SGA makes a difference by connecting our students, building relationships and developing trust among students, faculty and staff. Also, SGA advocates for student needs and provides funding for club activities. For more information, email sga@pstcc.edu.

Student Activities Board. The SAB is a student leadership organization that helps create and implement high-quality programs and events for students across the college. SAB members work along with Student Engagement and Leadership to plan, organize, implement and evaluate activities on campus, offering the student body educational, social and cultural enrichment opportunities. The SAB is coordinated through Student Engagement and Leadership and has students at all five campuses.

Student Leadership Development. Presented in various formats, leadership development workshops and other trainings are provided to student club leaders and other interested students. Volunteer opportunities are also offered for community service projects.

Students who participate in student leadership opportunities and service will

  • Gain an understanding of themselves, their values, abilities, and interests and develop a personal philosophy of leadership;
  • Understand the importance of behaving consistently with their values, beliefs, strengths and limitations;
  • Learn skills for effective membership in groups, including handling controversy with civility, shared responsibility, respect for individual and group differences and collaboration;
  • See themselves as agents of change and as citizens with responsibilities to their communities;
  • Develop a commitment to an activity or cause and invest energy in that activity or cause; and
  • Gain an understanding of leadership as a process, not a position.

Student organizations. Honor, academic and special interest clubs are organized through Student Engagement and Leadership. In order to be recognized and chartered by the College, each club must have a constitution, a faculty or staff advisor and a list of charter members and officers. For a list of active clubs, visit Room 141, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus or consult the Student Engagement and Leadership website. The advisor facilitates the overall functioning of each student organization and is expected to attend meetings and events, update members on Pellissippi State policies and assist members as needed.

Each officially recognized student organization is expected to keep a record of meetings, expenditures and activities of the group and to submit an annual report to Student Engagement and Leadership at the end of the spring semester.

Any student or group of students interested in starting a new student organization should contact Student Engagement and Leadership to obtain a copy of the procedures for forming a new student club.

Application for a special event. Events or fundraising activities planned by student clubs require approval through Student Engagement and Leadership at least two weeks prior to the event. Please complete the GRIT form on the Student Engagement and Leadership website.

Activities and meetings. Officially recognized student organizations may schedule campus facilities for regular meetings. Special programs, fundraising activities or off-campus activities must be approved through Student Engagement and Leadership. All use of campus property and facilities is subject to TBR and Pellissippi State regulations.

Recreation and intramurals. A variety of recreational and intramural activities for Pellissippi State students is available throughout the year at no additional charge for all students. The Student Recreation Center on the Hardin Valley Campus has outdoor facilities that include a combination basketball/tennis court, a soccer field, a golf area, a sand volleyball court and a softball field. Three tennis courts and a combination volleyball/ basketball/ badminton court are available indoors. The Student Recreation Center also has a fitness room containing a variety of weight training and cardio equipment. In addition, the Center offers a racquetball court and a dance/exercise/martial arts room. Student workout facilities are located on all campuses and are available for all students. Employees must pay each semester to use the facility.

Student publications. “Panther Pause” is a newsletter designed to inform students about what’s happening on campus (events, services, deadlines). It offers tips for transition to college life, as well as bits of humor and conventional wisdom. “Panther Pause” can be found in campus restrooms, at study and social areas and on the Student Engagement and Leadership webpage.

The “Pellissippi Press,” the official student newspaper of Pellissippi State, can be found online and is produced entirely by students enrolled in a specific journalism class. Students gain practical experience in writing, editing, layout and design, print shop composition, photography and other facets of newspaper production. The online newspaper is published to provide a free marketplace of ideas for the student body.

“Imaginary Gardens” is the College’s literary magazine. It is a collection of creative writings, drawings and photographs by students published in the spring semester. Visit the English Department for more information.

Bulletin boards. Bulletin boards for student use are located throughout the campus. Posted materials should be of campus interest to students, faculty and staff and must be approved and dated by Student Engagement and Leadership, in Room 141, Goins Building, on the Hardin Valley Campus, or in the main office of the Blount County, Magnolia Avenue and Strawberry Plains campuses. Items must be no larger than 11x17 inches and may be posted for a maximum of 15 school days.

Student Lounges

Student lounges are provided for between-class relaxation and recreation. Students who wish to study may use the tables provided but may prefer the quieter study areas in the ERC.

Student Support Services (TRIO)

The Student Support Services (TRIO) program helps students develop the skills and motivation to succeed and graduate from a post-secondary institution. Services include assistance with career selection, personal tutoring, financial literacy education, information and assistance with financial aid, academic advice and assistance, educational seminars, cultural activities and, for those who wish to transfer, assistance in selecting a four-year college or university. Leadership opportunities are available through TRIO’s Student Leadership Institute and Peer Tutoring programs.

TRIO is available to students who have an academic need and meet enrollment guidelines. Academic needs include required corequisite courses for English, reading and math; low grade point average or ACT test score or having been out of school for five or more years. Enrollment guidelines specify inclusion of “first-generation” students whose parents have not graduated from a four-year college or university, low-income students and/or students with disabilities.

TRIO Student Support Services is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The program is located in Room 218 in the Educational Resources Center on the Hardin Valley Campus. For more information call 865-539-7267.

Sustainable Campus Initiative

A sustainable campus fee, initiated and supported by students, was implemented in fall 2011. Funding from the fee is allocated by the Sustainable Campus Committee for various green initiatives. Initiatives focus on supporting environmental awareness and promoting collegewide engagement in and commitment to sustainable practices. Students, staff and faculty are invited to submit proposals for ways to make Pellissippi State more environmentally friendly. Proposals are reviewed annually.

Veterans Educational Assistance

Please see the Financial Aid  section for complete information.

Veterans Services

Pellissippi State provides veterans educational benefits assistance through the Financial Aid office. The Ben Atchley Veterans Success Center on the Hardin Valley Campus offers student veterans a study center and lounge, which serves as a central gathering place and is located in Room 123 in the Educational Resources Center. Visit the Veterans Services website for more information. Contact the director of Veterans Services at 865-539-7368.