2015-2016 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Media Technologies/Photography Concentration, A.A.S.
Degree: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Program description. The Media Technologies program encompasses related career-technical disciplines in four general concentrations: Communication Graphics Technology , Photography , Video Production Technology and Web Technology . Students will earn a degree in a cross-disciplinary environment that reflects industry workflows and trends. The program employs instructors with years of practical experience and is guided by working professionals.
The Media Technologies program is designed to offer greater flexibility to students who can, working with an advisor, design a custom curriculum best suited to their needs and interests. The program offers certificates for those needing broader, deeper and/or upgraded training. To learn more about these options, see the Certificate Programs section of this Catalog.
Photography concentration. The Photography concentration is designed to give students a balanced, practical foundation for entering the profession in the digital age. All of the facilities are digital, with industry-standard tools incorporated into the course material. Students are shown the tools and techniques needed to build a foundation for nearly any photography career. Camera mastery, studio portrait and still life lighting, photojournalism, and digital imaging are among the skills developed. Learning these core skill sets allows the aspiring photographers to be able to express themselves more creatively and communicate more effectively through their photography.
Typical job opportunities: Freelance photographer/studio owner; corporate or industrial photographer; staff, wedding, portrait, photojournalism, editorial, travel, nature, lifestyle, stock, and education photographer
Program goals. Upon completion of a Media Technologies program, the graduate will be equipped to do the following:
- Create media that communicate the desired message to the intended audience.
- Use a wide variety of industry-standard equipment, techniques, software, hardware and materials to produce the appropriate content.
- Demonstrate various styles in communications media that display a grasp of both design and communication principles and techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the techniques and equipment that facilitate adaptation to constantly changing media.
- Understand and respect the rights and responsibilities of the artist, subject, client, user and employer, including intellectual property rights.
- Create a portfolio demonstrating design and communication skills, technical competence, and industry standards and practices.
Contact(s): Engineering and Media Technologies department, (865) 694-6483; or program coordinator, (865) 539-7171