Degree: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Accreditation. Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, 11520 W. 119th St., Overland Park, KS 66213, (913) 339-9356, www.acbsp.org.
Program description. Accounting offers a core curriculum that provides the academic and technical background for individuals who wish to prepare for entry-level accounting positions in business and industry using both accounting and personal computer skills. The curriculum is designed to enable the graduate to apply principles of accounting to business situations and to understand other functions of business: marketing, management, finance and information processing. All students must take the Brainbench examination in order to fulfill graduation requirements; Brainbench awards certification to students with a passing score.
Typical job opportunities: Staff accountant, accounts payable technician, accounts receivable analyst, payroll technician, income tax preparer
Program goals. Upon completion of the Accounting program, the graduate will have developed the skills, knowledge and abilities to accomplish the following:
- Explain the role of accounting in business and how accounting information systems are used to gather, summarize, report and analyze financial data.
- Perform the steps in the accounting cycle, complying with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrate knowledge of local, state and federal tax laws and competence in tax planning and compliance.
- Identify ethical issues and apply a value-based reasoning system to accounting issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cost accounting systems and the budgeting process.
Contact(s): Business and Computer Technology, (865) 694-6656