Degree: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Accreditation. Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, 11520 W. 119th St., Overland Park, KS 66213, (913) 339-9356, www.acbsp.org.
Program description. The Business program encompasses related disciplines in these general concentrations: Accounting , Culinary Arts , Hospitality and Management . Students have the opportunity to earn a degree in a cross-disciplinary environment that reflects the trend in industry. The program employs instructors with years of practical experience and is guided by working professionals.
Hospitality concentration. The Hospitality concentration is designed to provide the skills and knowledge necessary for graduates to succeed in the hospitality management field. Practical applications of basic management theories and principles are stressed. Courses incorporate work-related experiences to simulate realistic management problems and opportunities. The curriculum also includes on-the-job experience as an intern. Organizations in the industry frequently promote from within, so the internship can be a significant asset.
Typical job opportunities: Associate manager, small-business operator, assistant manager, functional assistant manager
Program goals. Upon completion of a Business program, the graduate will have developed the skills, knowledge and abilities to accomplish the following:
- Apply the basic principles of Business.
- Integrate business disciplines.
- Identify problems and use appropriate techniques to find solutions.
- Work independently and function on a team.
- Demonstrate basic math, verbal and written communications, and the use of technology.
- Qualify for entry-level positions in business.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global nature of business.
Contact(s): Business and Computer Technology, (865) 694-6656