2020-2021 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Media Technologies/Audio Production Engineering Concentration, A.A.S.
Degree: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Program description. The Media Technologies program encompasses related career-technical disciplines in five general concentrations: Audio Production Engineering, Design for Web and Print , Photography , Video Production Technology and Web Technology . Students have the opportunity to earn a degree in a cross-disciplinary environment that reflects the trend in industry. The program employs instructors with years of practical experience and is guided by working professionals.
The Media Technologies program is designed to offer greater flexibility to students who can, working with an advisor, design a custom curriculum best suited to their needs and interests. The program offers certificates for those needing broader, deeper and/or upgraded training. To learn more about these options, see the Certificates section of this Catalog.
Audio Production Engineering concentration. The Audio Production Engineering concentration educates students in the art of audio engineering and production by utilizing the skills and knowledge used in music production, post-production, broadcast, live sound and field recording using commercially popular equipment and software. Basic and advanced training in acoustics, studio recording, location recording, editing, mixing, live sound mixing, producing, sound design, media management and logistics management are covered. Course content includes five avenues of audio production: recording, broadcast, sound design, live sound and production management.
Typical job opportunities: Live sound engineer, post-production audio editor, studio engineer, sound designer, broadcast audio engineer, field audio engineer, audio system technician, media management, producer and production manager.
Program goals. Upon completion of a Media Technologies program, the graduate will have developed the skills, knowledge and abilities to accomplish the following:
- Create media that communicate the desired message to the intended audience.
- Demonstrate mastery of the fundamentals within the medium of concentration.
- Apply various styles in communications media that display a grasp of both design and communication principles and techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the techniques, equipment, software, hardware and materials for the production of appropriate content within ever-evolving media.
- Demonstrate understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the artist, subject, client, user and employer, including intellectual property rights.
Contact(s): Engineering and Media Technologies department, (865) 694-6483; or program coordinator, (865) 694-6486